Saturday, January 21, 2012

The Past Couple of Months (At a Glance)

This place is really cool, has a lot of character ... looking forward to the summer, the heat, the ocean, the sailing, the storms, being lonely and being social. I've really enjoyed all the alone time I've had these past few months with the occasional good friends. I almost hate that I have to give it up to ensure that I can pay my bills next month, get the boat fixed and finish up this software.

That's where I'm at right now: wondering how I'm going to pay the bills. But, I will pay those bills, that's what's important right?

I've made it to Wilmington, North Carolina. It's nice here, warm. Not like Florida and not like Kentucky. I was out in shorts and a t-shirt downtown earlier tonight. I don't miss Maryland, I can tell you that much. Case in point: I can wear flipflops, every single day. I guess I do that anyway though, but that's besides the point.

Job hunting has been a pain in the ass from day one. I did find a little start up and I've contributed greatly to their projects and their business. And as of right now, I'm listed as an employee for tax benefits with the option to 'buy in' and actually own a portion of the company after a year. I already get a portion of the profits its just that right now, there aren't any profits to get a portion of. My personal goal is to get us making 1.5 million in revenue in the next two years. Yeah, I do get a say in that too.

I could have sworn I had this one pretty sweet software job not even two city blocks from me a few weeks ago. I didn't get it for some reason even though they really seemed to like me. Probably due to experience, though the more I thought about it ... nah, I'm not going to say that here.

I ended up getting a job at Dunkin Donuts making just above minimum wage. That in itself is pretty awesome, not the dream job ... but unlimited coffee makes it pretty damn close.

Blue Macs is out of the water, up on the hard as they say. Working on getting the money to sand down the bottom to the barrier coat and repaint the hull nice and smooth. Plus there's some work I want to do on the centerboard and I still need to repack this damn stuffing box. While I'm at it, I might as well see about replacing the head. That thing is shot to hell, but it still works. There's a lot to do on board, and not a lot of cash to go around. Still waiting on a hefty check from Uncle Sam, but I'm not counting on it arriving any time in the near future.

School starts in the summer, and I'm really looking forward to it. My GI-Bill certificate thingy got 'delayed' because I got selected for a random audit which added on about a month. I literally got it a week after classes started and I didn't want to start classes without it, not while I'm still fighting the out of state/in state bullshit.

Nonetheless, I'm going in the summer ... and I can't wait.

Until next time,

Robert Landers
S/V Blue Macs


No comments:

Post a Comment