Monday, December 5, 2011

Welcome aboard!

Several weeks ago, I bought a Tartan 34C, vintage, 1974. It was an exciting moment, to actually find a boat that I felt ... well, home in. I bought the boat, and got to work, and holy hell, was there a lot of work to do.

First thing was first, get power. The first night I was on the boat, the engine was in pieces, battery disconnected, and cold. So extremely cold. I had a little chihuahua and yorkie mix, named Mattie to keep me company. Me and her both we shivering under the tiny little towel that I had for a blanket. We ventured off to Walmart in the middle of the night to get heaters because there was still shore power, but that's a completely different circuit from the lights.

Mattie and I discovered that around here, Walmart closes at about 2am. I happened to run into the manager as I was walking up and he was walking out. I explained my situation and he actually let me in the store and opened a register for me.

So that night was still very cold, but in the end, it worked out. Over the next couple of weeks, I was busy helping to rebuild the engine, restore lights, install a monoxide alarm, rebuild a sink, and figure out how to work the toilet.

I went out very rarely to actually have fun, I took a break here and there and made a couple of friends. Making friends has always been pretty easy, its finding them that's the hard part.

All in all, the never ending list of things-to-[fix/do/diagnose] finally started to get an ending about a week ago. It is a relief to know that soon, very soon, the sails will be up with the wind taking me to where ever I want to go...

Actually, the sails were up today. I was re-rigging the jiffy-reef system. A jiffy-reef is basically a line that makes it relatively easy (or faster) to reef the sails. I enjoy the challenge of working on this boat.

I'm glad I got a project boat instead of a full working boat. I probably spent more money than I would have if I had gotten a working boat for this same condition. But I know my boat. I know it in and out. I know where every damned wire goes and every little hose ... I wouldn't have that if I had done it the other way.

But anyway, the laptop is near dead, it was a cloudy day so I can't charge it. I just wanted to start this: make it easier to update the universe on the ins and outs of my life for my family and friends.

- Robert
S/v Blue Macs

No comments:

Post a Comment